Researchers at the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KeMRI) in collaboration with fellow researchers from the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine have identified the use of an old drug, which when ingested makes the human blood poisonous to mosquitoes.
The drug Ivermecting has already been in existence and cheaply available. However, it has all along been used to treat diseases like roundworms, river blindness, and the leading cause of elephantiasis.
Based on the medical application of Ivermecting drug, the scientists have all along known it makes the human blood poisonous to pathogens. It was until recently that the scientists explored its use in combating malaria that they discovered it also affected the mosquitoes.
As it works out when a patient ingests Ivermecting, your blood turns toxic, and the female mosquitoes need to drink a lot of blood to support their egg formation. When a mosquito bites a person with Ivermecting drug running in their veins, the little insects gets sick to the point it no longer can bite and dies within 14 days.
KeMRI established that giving patients between two-to-four times the dose above the standard dose of Ivermecting was …read more